Saturday, September 26, 2009

DIY: sugaring

This may be the most stupid and most wonderful thing I have ever done: Do-it-yourself waxing-- or to be politically correct: sugaring.

It started with me staring at my semi-hairy legs. It doesn't really bother me that much especially since the hair is very fine anyway so it doesn't look ugly. I just get self-conscious whenever I get foot massages (the worst was when I was in China and it was a boy who massaged my legs. eek! embarrassing).

Somehow the idea of removing the hair appealed to me so I began researching about it. I went around different sites and I found out about the beauty of waxing. Says you won't have ingrown hair, the skin will be softer, it takes a while for the hair to grow back and when it does, it appears soft and thin, and lastly: in the long run, hair will disappear permanently! Wow right? I was immediately sold by the idea of waxing! Besides, celebrities wax all the time so I guess this really is the best method to use!

I opted for cold wax since a lot of people claim that it is less painful that hot wax. I ordered from Strip It co'z it says it's from natural ingredients and it's basically melted sugar so it's safer and hypoallergenic. After a few days of letting it sit in a corner, I finally decided to try it.


Here's the entire kit which contains the wax, applicator and cloths.



Just before using it, I popped it in the microwave for 12 seconds just to heat the wax a bit. It's a little tip I got from other users. I figured I had to do it too because it was too sticky, I couldn't even pull the lid co'z the wax was sticking to it.

I wanted to test it on a small portion of my leg. I've been preparing myself for the pain of waxing by practicing pulling band aids from my skin. I was expecting a lot of pain that when I finally pulled, I was so surprised that it hurt only a bit! I know I have low tolerance for pain so when I say it didn't hurt that much, it really means it didn't hurt that much!

After a while, I got a bored so I tried pulling more hair at a time and using a big strip of cloth, but boy did it hurt! lol! I realize it's less painful when you cut the cloth strips into small rectangles and doing small portions like I did:



Tips: Try getting extra cloth strips co'z even if the strips are reusable, you'd still find yourself short on cloth strips. I find it a little messy to reuse strips with wax on already so I say just get an extra pack. It's also best to have a place to put your used cloth strips co'z it's sticky and can create a mess. For me, I didn't bother saving the strips or the applicator, I threw them all out after using. Besides, I used up all the wax anyway. hehe :P

In less than an hour, I finally was able to get all the hair out of my legs. The amazing thing about it is how soft the skin on my legs was! I don't know if it's just because there's no more hair but I tell you, it feels so soft--comparable to that of a baby's!

I know what I did was stupid--having my first waxing experience at home but I tell you, it's the best stupid thing I've ever done! lol! I love it! Sugaring not only sounds sweet, it's effect is as saccharine too!

Buy at: Strip It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin