Monday, February 25, 2008

Mushy flicks part 3

...And we've finally come to the last week of our movie marathon! Sorry if it's a day late girls. We have been very busy plus we've also been down with colds these past few days (talk about being friends who share everything, ey?). Anyhow, here's our final list of movies to watch for this last week of the month of Love!

10 things I hate about you - Are you a fan of Shakespeare? Particularly like his story, the Taming of the Shrew? Well if yes, then this movie is for you! If no, it's still for you! haha!:) No, seriously, even if this film is based on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, even non-shakespeare lovers would love this flick!

The story per se is not spectacular because as I said it's just an adaptation of the famed play by Shakespeare. If you are a fan of the play, you would easily see the Shakesperean references of the movie starting with the name of the two sisters in the film, Katarina and Bianca, which were obviously taken from the two sisters Katherine and Bianca from the original play. Very Shakepeare right? Well yes, very, very but you know I think its Shakepearean theme actually added to the appeal of the film. It was very romantic plus the scenes were laid out perfectly in true Shakespearean fashion.

Another one of the things that made this appeal to me (other than that the stars are actually teens) is the soundtrack of the film. The songs are soooo perfect for the scenes and the timing was flawless! A scene in point: Patrick(Heath Ledger) asks Kat (Julia Stiles) to the prom with their school band playing "can't take my eyes off you". Soooo sweet! lastly, if you're still not convinced, let me include here the famous poem Kat patterned from Shakespeare's sonnet 141 that she recited in class for Patrick:


I hate the way you're always right
I hate it when you lie
I hate it when you make me laugh
even worse when you make me cry
I hate it that you're not around
and the fact that you didn't call
But mostly I hate the way I don 't hate you
not even close, not even a little bit, not even any at all.

My girl - My earliest memories of pining for Mackauley Culkin was when I saw this film. For a kid my age then, it was shocking beyond shocking to see two kids actually kiss! But you know, even if I didn't understand a thing then about relationships and all that, I absolutely adored this film!-- much more when I watched it again a good ten years after :)

Surprisingly, I didn't change at all! I still had that warm fuzzy feeling inside for the whole duration of the film. I still freaked out at the thought that Vada lived in a Funeral parlor and embarassingly, I still wanted to buy a mood ring right after I watched the flick! haha! :) The only thing that changed in me a decade after first seeing that movie is that after I watched it, I suddenly felt young again. (Oh no! Am I really getting older? nyay!) The plot was so sweet and so light and just so refreshingly young. This is one of those films that you wouldn't mind watching over and over because there's just no bad parts to it! You do have to prepare your hankies when you go watch this because I tell you, you would be crying bucket loads after it! But you know what, every tear you shed for this film would be so worth it!

Little manhattan - If you want to be reminded of the first time you felt love, then this is the flick for you! Honestly, the whole time I was watching this movie (which was only recently), I had that weird nostalgic feeling in my heart. I think it was because the plot was between tweens and it centered on the first time they felt love. So after the flick, I was trying to recall the first time I noticed the opposite sex and realized that I have noticed them since I was in pre-school. Talk about really early! haha! :) Yes, I had crushes early in my youth. I think I'm just a really appreciative person. :P

Well, if you'd like to be reminded of how it felt like when you had your first crush or your first love, then I tell you, this movie is truly perfect for you! It's even funny because the boy in the movie really had no idea what was happening to him. A funny line he said when he first felt love was, "why do I feel like there are butterflies in my heart?". See how he is so naive? It' so cute! It's even cuter because the first time he felt the downsides of love, he cried like a little baby! You should see him crying, it was so hilarious! It's even funnier because he's a boy and it's funny to think that the boys we pine for now cried like that too the first time they had their hearts broken. What happened to Mr. Tough guy, ey? lol!

Ultimately, I think what really makes this movie appealing is that it reminds us of the time when everything else was uncomplicated. I mean, we were once very young. Our days were longer and were filled with play, simple adventures, and silly activities. Love to us then was such a simple thing but now... well, I won't even start on that! haha! I say just watch it, okay? I'm telling you, you'd love it!-- and I'd bet my marc jacobs kitty flats on that!

So that's it girls! The last of our mushy flicks marathons! I hope you all had fun watching these flicks the entirety of February because I had! But if you were too busy or just couldn't get your hands on any of the movies, don't fret! You could always refer to these posts and watch the flicks some other time. :)

Here's to more movie marathons in the future PK girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin