Sunday, September 21, 2014

Colorless lacks color

A lot of my friends know how fond I am of Haruki Murakami's books so you could imagine how excited I was to get my hands on his latest novel, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

The book was about a middle-aged man, Tsukuru who went about looking for his high school best friends to find out why they decided to suddenly abandon and stop being friends with him sixteen years ago. The plot itself is very exciting since it tackled issues of loneliness, hope, self-discovery and friendship.


I got the book the first week it was released and finished it under two weeks. The first chapter sold it for me and I have to admit it was an easy read but as I read more and more of it, I found it... colorless. I was trying to determine why I didn't find the story compelling so I kept reading but it didn't get better for me. There was something missing in it. And I can't put a finger to what it is exactly. I'm thinking maybe something got lost in the translation (it's not by one of my favorite Murakami translators) but I kinda had a feeling that it was rushed. And in a way, it was a bit predictable which is surprising because the thing I love most about Murakami is that he keeps me guessing and the endings are never what I had in mind.

I can't speak badly of Murakami because I love him too much but suffice it to say, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki isn't one of my favorites from him. I am kinda disappointed cause I waited a while for his next book but I hear he's coming out with another one in a few months so I'm excited for that! 

Colorless may not be for me, but I still love you Murakami!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin