Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Swimwear conundrum..

"Hello, ok so I have broad shoulders, I have small breasts and a small waist and I would like my bum and thighs to appear bigger. My body is simililar to the models but I'm shorter, and I'd like my shoulders to appear smaller, what sort of bikini do you think I should wear? - Mel"

Well, hello there Mel! Sorry for our rather late reply on your inquiry but here goes.. :) You see, I also have broad shoulders (and so does NJ), and small breasts. Although, I don't consider my waist 'small' enough..hehe. I think we sorta have the same body shape. Also, don't you worry my dear coz both NJ and I have big heinies and do we know how to flaunt 'em (or not..haha.kidding).

So, let's start with your bikini top. First, stay away from bandeau bikini tops with string halter straps. This kind of bikini top tends to emphasize your shoulders' width. Halter string bikinis are also quite tricky to work with but at times, depending on the shape of the bikini top, broad shouldered girls can pull it off.

Instead, opt for halter tops with thick straps such as these..


Most sources say that broad shouldered girls should stay away from v-necked tops but we are a special case...we are broad shouldered AND small-busted. This specific type of halter bikini (adjustable triangular top) is perfect for covering as much (or as little, depends on what you desire) 'boobage' as you want. The straps, as you can see, are also not strings thus making your shoulders look less broad.

As for your bottoms, it's actually your call. I, personally, don't like my butt cheeks to show at all so I wear boy shorts and brief cut bottoms. But hipsters and string bikinis are also good choices. You can also try bottoms that have belt or ribbon details on the waist.


Here are a few more things to consider when choosing your perfect swimwear match:

1. Color helps emphasize and hide! Yes, color helps. This is why color blocking is such a hit nowadays. Opt for light colored bottoms (since it is your legs that you want to emphasize) and darker colored tops. If you want printed swimwear, make sure that the size of the print is proportionate to your body. If you're on the thin side, go for smaller prints. If you're on the full-figured side, go for bigger prints. Also, busier prints catch more attention so don't choose super-busy-looking tops.

2. Be objective. Learn to give yourself some good criticism. Try to see your entire look and not just a portion of your body. Do NOT focus on your problem areas because I am telling you, when fitting bathing suits, it's like your flaws are being placed under a microscope. You make yourself think that you look (10 times more) worse than it actually looks like. If, however, you are so in love with the bathing suit's print but you are aware that it just really isn't for you...let it go. Think of it this way, that swimwear is just not for you. If you leave it there, it could possibly fall on the right hands. It could probably be the answer to a fellow PK girl's dreams of finding her perfect swimwear.

I hope that we've helped you even just a little. Good luck on your search. Happy hunting! And don't forget to tell us what you find, ayt? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin