Monday, March 19, 2012

Extremely loud, incredibly close

I've recently found solace in watching movies. You may have noticed how, since last year, I've been posting more and more about films I've recently watched. I'm not a big movie person. I'm more of the book type but since last year, I've found new appreciation for films. In fact, on one of my "I-feel-lost" episodes, I skipped work and watched a movie alone. It was the first time I ever did that and it felt weirdly comforting.

Since then, I've been watching movies everytime I feel restless or troubled.

This weekend was no different. The impulse to watch a film--any film, was so great. Well, I couldn't have picked the most perfect film to watch: Extremely loud and Incredibly close.

 It's about a boy trying to find the lock that would fit the key that his dead dad had. He was on this incredible search, believing that whatever lock that key opened was bound to lead him to answers. He devised a system-- he measured, computed, planned every step he was to take. He was a total geek and was absolutely autistic.

He was constantly feeling disappointed but he was also extremely determined. At a number of scenes, I saw myself in him. Not only did we share a common feeling of loss, but we also shared this intense desire to find answers and to make sense of things.

But as the movie showed, death, as painful as it is, makes no sense. At all.


There are so many ways to cope with pain. But as I've always practiced, just take things one day at a time. Like what I told my friend, and my mantra for the past month: never expect things to work out perfectly. Don't expect the same from others. At the end of the day, we, alone, have to help ourselves. It's great if there are people who take time out and extend a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on, but never expect.
Outfit inspired by the movie. He was a total geek, I wanted to exude the same vibe.

 "If things were easy to find,
 they won't be worth finding" 
-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Maxi Dress - Red Head
Denim Vest - Next Jeans
Python sandals - Charles & Keith

2 comments:

  1. I love your dress! I hope you find the solace you've been looking for, remember when God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. :)

    Nix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww.. that hit me straight in the heart! Thank you so much Nix! You're God sent :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin