Thursday, March 22, 2012

Of Japanese lit and flicks

A few days ago, I had a conversation with a good friend about this book we both read when we were young. It's entitled Totto-Chan, Ang batang babae sa bintana (the little girl at the window). It's a Japanese book which has been translated to Tagalog. It's a very memorable book because not only is it extremely beautiful, it is also the first Tagalog novel I read as a kid.

I looked for my copy of Totto-Chan the first chance I got.
 It's tattered and the pages are falling off but I don't care! It makes me treasure it more! I'm getting it hard bound to preserve it then lending to my friend so she could relive the days of her youth.

...And since my friend and I were already on the topic, she lent me a dvd of a Japanese film that also features the plight of children. This one is a war film and like most war films of the same genre, this also tugs at heart strings.
Because of the similarity between the two, I am now semi-obsessed on finding other Japanese literature/films with the same elements (features a child and/or major tear-jerkers). I like how "fresh" Japanese literature/films are. It has Western elements but has a special peculiarity about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it's that distinct Japanese style--which only the Japanese is able to explain.

How 'bout you guys, ever come across any interesting films/books on the same genre? Or by a Japanese author/film maker? Suggestions are very much welcome!


2 comments:

  1. Try the other films by Studio Ghibli (the company that animated Grave of the Fireflies), especially the ones by Hayao Miyazaki, such as "Princess Mononoke," "Spirited Away" and the adaptation of "Howl's Moving Castle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much Bryan! :) You are most helpful! So excited to look for those titles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin