Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stuff to tame the crazy curly!

Even before I got my hair permed, I've been hearing and reading that the number one issue girls have with curly hair is the unmanageable volume due to frizz. So, aside from researching about where to have my hair digipermed, I simultaneously searched for products to switch to. Here are some of the stuff I bought within the past 3 months.

(Clockwise from left to right)

Bed Head Foxy Curls Shampoo (Php 1,540.00) and Conditioner (Php 1,605.00)
Being in such noticeable metallic violet bottles, I bought these instead of the initial products I intended to get from Basement Salon. Bed Head Foxy Curls boasts of its Frizz-Fighting Sulfate-Free qualities. The first time I tried the shampoo and conditioner, I loved its gummy bears-ish scent and the fact that it helped keep my hair looking smooth and relatively frizz-free. Unfortunately, I think my scalp and the products do not get along very well so I decided to buy another brand for curly hair so I can occasionally switch shampoos.

Gatsby Wax (Php 91.25)
After getting my hair digipermed, this is the brand of wax that the stylist used on my hair. There are different levels of wax's hold and I went for the Natural Hold. 
Things I love about this product: the scent,  leaves my hair bouncy and not crunchy, and its price!

L'oreal Studio Curl Power
My sisters and I bought this product way before I got my hair digipermed. We initially purchased this for whenever we curled our hair via the trusty curling iron. I haven't seen the Shine Curls Mousse in groceries for some time. Does anyone know if L'oreal still carries this product or not?

VO5 Obey! & Play Gel Wax (Php 204.75)
I've read from some sites that this brand's products for curly hair are exceptional. However, this fell short of my expectations. Not only does the wax smell icky, it also leaves your hair feeling crusty. I know it's wax and you should sort of expect it to make your hair flat but as its name suggests, it should make your hair obey and (still) PLAY.

Body Shop Cottonseed Curl Booster (Php 695.00)
This is another product that has been getting great online reviews. I guess I purchased this because I got too excited with the reviews. The curl booster is not a leave-in conditioner but is more of a serum. What it does is it helps keep your hair look shiny and bouncy. Several people are debating over its scent though. Some like it (they say it smells fresh), some don't. I, sadly, don't like its smell.

VO5 Extreme Style Mousse (Php 204.75)
This product is also from the well reviewed VO5 line. Although I didn't like their gel wax, their mousse I adore. This weightless and volumizing mousse lives up to its name. After I used this product, several friends noticed that my curls and waves became more prominent again.

Kerastase Bain Oleo-Curl (Php 1,240.00) and Oleo-Curl Intense (Php 2,160.00)
The moment I tried these, I knew that I should've stuck with my instincts and got these first. My hair feels soft and clean and not all tangled up (even without the conditioner). The conditioner, Oleo-Curl Intense, is exceptional. Even if it's quite expensive for a jar of conditioner, I think you get the most out of your 2,000 bucks. I use this daily as my conditioner (leave it on for 5mins and rinse) and I also use it to deep condition (leave it on for 10-20mins and rinse) my hair.

How about you, curly haired PK girls? What are your tried and tested hair products?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's been 3years now since I've started getting my hair permed. I really like using mousse stuff,haha
    Anyway, was just going to ask if with the vo5 weightless volume mousse that you used, is it the same as using their curl defining mousse?
    It's always a hassle buying curl products 'coz every time it's always out of stock in stores. So I was hoping that if they have the same effect is that I could buy the weightless volume instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizette! I haven't tried their curl defining mousse yet so I can't compare the two.

    But, I can attest to the effectiveness of the extreme style mousse. Even my best friend got convinced and she now uses that product :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin