Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Head banging no more

I've just had the most painful migraine-filled week ever in my life. I had the worst migraine that just wouldn't go away! If I'm not in the mood to bang my head on the wall, it would probably be because I'm too nauseaus and keeping myself on my toes is top priority then! Ugh. The perils of being a girl.

I know I shouldn't really blame it on hormones but I can't! Majority of migraine sufferers are women and migraine attacks often coincide with menstruation which suggests a hormonal trigger! See? See? Argh. Well, I'm not here to rant. Because of my recent major migraine attacks, I found myself awake at dawn reading all about migraines. Here's what I found out:

1. Migraine attacks are triggered by food, hormones, weather or stress
2. Some symptoms accompanying migraine are: nausea, vomiting, visual disturbances, dislike for bright lights
3. A drop in blood sugar may bring on an attack (this I found really interesting!)
4. Early warning signals of a migraine attack includes: excessive hunger or thirst, exhaustion, or inexplicable mood swings

So with those information, I share with you the prescription for these nasty migraines!

DOs:
1. Take plenty of light meals or have a hard candy in your bag to prevent a drop in blood sugar (a drop in blood sugar will make you feel like you're about to faint)
2. Eat food with ginger! Or boil it as tea (salabat for us pinoys!)
3. Eat plenty of oily fish such as salmon and mackerel (though the effect is not immediate)
4. Put anything cold on your forehead during attacks
5. Try to lie down with your back straight
6. Keep your eyes shielded from any bright light

DON'Ts:
1. Avoid the 4 c's: chocolate, cheese, citrus fruits and caffeine (this is sooo true! huhu)

2. Never drink alcohol especially red wine and port
3. DON'T DO ANY OF THE DON'TS! (haha, really!)

I cannot tell you girls just how hard it was for me to last a week like that. I could barely do anything else! I was feeling bad all the time! What makes it worse is that I had to stay away from the 4 c's which are actually some of my all-time favorites! No more caffeine or cheese? Are you kidding?!? hahaha :P Well, I'm keeping myself good and well so I'm being a good girl and following those prescriptions. But if it comes to worse, remember girls, there's always DOLFENAL *wink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin