Thursday, February 9, 2012

Freeway and ballet - Freeway x Lisa Macuja

I've been fascinated with ballet since I was young but I never got the chance to try it out. My parents decided to enroll me in ice skating classes instead of ballet.

Fast forward to college, when we were told to do a paper for our Arts Management class, Ninin and I paired up and decided to write a paper on male ballerinas, how they are stereotyped, and what do they do to cope. Up to this day, I always catch myself giggling whenever I remember our interview with Jasper, a male ballerina.. Well, we ended up having a huuuge crush on him. Hahaha! Anyway, at one point during our interview, he said that people stereotype male ballerinas as gay but he wanted to clarify that there are actually a lot of straight male ballerinas. He said that he used to dance hiphop but fell in love with ballet because it actually requires you to be physically and mentally strong in order to lift prima ballerinas such as Lisa Macuja.

We know how great a ballerina Lisa Macuja is but I'm sure she'd agree with me when I say that her dance partners also helped her achieve greatness. However, it is also a fact that she has invaluable contributions to the Arts, especially to the Philippine Ballet, and this is why Freeway decided to honor her by launching a limited edition Lisa Macuja shirt.


Freeway created the shirt with the goal of immortalizing the signature ballets of Lisa Macuja-Elizalde. She is set to retire in three years and to end her career with a bang, she is currently dancing her last full-length set of performances. She started her "Swan Song Series" production last year with Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet.


Aside from getting a chance to watch the most famous Filipina ballerina dance her last performance, don't you think it would be great if you got her collaboration shirt with Freeway too? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin