Sunday, November 23, 2014

Colorless just got Colorful

You know I'm a big fan of Haruki Murakami's books and although I didn't really enjoy his last novel that much (See post: Colorless lacks Color) I have to admit, I'll still buy it because it is still a Murakami novel (and I am that big of a fan).

Well since the novel came out, I was already obsessing over its cover. The first time I saw it, I was so disappointed at how plain it looked only to find out it came with stickers! Apparently, the idea is for the readers to design their own cover of the book! So cool, right? The first week it came out I couldn't stop obsessing over it only to be gifted my own copy of the book by a dear friend. As happy as that made me, I still wasn't 100% excited cause the one I got was not the Harvill Secker First Edition version with the stickers :(  So imagine my happiness when I chanced upon the Harvill Secker version in Changi Airport during my layover enroute to Myanmar!

I present to you, my version of Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage:


I am so proud of my cover! I have to admit though, when I saw the stickers I got so confused. There's so many of them! I wanted to pile them all! But of course, that wouldn't make such a great cover.

The plain cover. The one on the right is the cover leaf, the book itself is the one on the left :)


The stickers were created by six Japanese artists. You'd think they're just nonsensical stickers, but if you read the book you'd realize that each one has a reference to the book. I am glad I read the book before putting on the stickers cause it made them more meaningful.


The stickers themselves are really nice cause they're printed in a good quality clear sticker paper so they don't look tacky when you stick them on the book.

I had so many extra stickers when I was done so I just piled them on in the inside back cover just because I didn't want to throw them away :P

Thank you Murakami for the really interactive book cover! I enjoyed it so much! More so because the book now feels more limited edition to me. Because apart from the fact that it is a first edition version, no one else in the world has the same design cover as mine. It has Ninin all over it :) Yay for uniqueness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin